South African power outages continue – News Review
South Africans are facing a fourth day of severe power cuts. The troubled, state-run firm, Eskom, has appealed to customers to turn off all non-essential lights and appliances. The power cuts have caused transport problems in Johannesburg with many traffic lights switched off. South Africa’s ageing network has suffered from years of mismanagement.
Key words and phrases
periods of no light or electricity
• The earthquake destroyed the power station, resulting in a city-wide blackout.
• The government ordered a blackout so the enemy planes can’t target the city at night.
two bad things happening at the same time
• Catherine had the double whammy of forgetting both her keys and her buss pass.
• Rising taxes and low sales brought the business a double whammy of bad luck.
light at the end of (the) tunnel
sign that a difficult situation will improve or end
• I was wrong. Now I’ve studied a bit more, there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
• After winning the lottery, I saw light at the end of the tunnel for my money worries.
Visit our website for more details and a quiz: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-9/session-82
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com
Original of the video here